Welcome back for Part 2!
Guess what? We are all still here practicing “Social Distancing” and “Sheltering in Place”. In Part 1 we discussed how having the right mindset will get you started on the right path toward great Opportunities. Remember, your mindset, controls your attitude and you attitude controls your actions, and your actions provide your reality. You have the keys to creating your own reality whether you realize it or not. We may be stuck here for a while so here are 12 Tips to help you create a reality filled with Opportunity.
- Stay Positive- It’s easy to read the news or scroll through social media and see all the negativity out there and let it get you down. This is slippery slope that can turn into self-pity and irritability. Take the higher road and make lemonade out of lemons.
- Be Still- When you practice stillness it allows you to take time for yourself. We live in a constant state of distraction with alerts, notifications, reminders and people not leaving us alone. Begin your day with at least 5 minutes of stillness. Before you do anything else (especially picking up your phone). One of the best ways to practice stillness is through prayer or meditation. Find a quiet place to sit and just breathe. Stillness through meditation has many health benefits including, decreasing stress, promoting emotional health, controlling anxiety, & lowering blood pressure. All good things or current environment.
- Maintain Routines- Continue all the things that help to keep your life “normal” and grounded. Wake up at the same time as you would if you were going to work. Don’t stay in your pajamas all day. Shower, Get dressed, and brush your teeth for everyone’s sake! Keep a regular schedule and block time for your routine activities such as work if you are lucky enough to continue doing so from home.
- Exercise & Stay active– It’s all too easy to let this fall by the wayside while stuck indoors. Don’t let this stop you. Go outside. Get some badly needed fresh air by going for a walk. There are 1000’s of at home workouts from yoga to Crossfit™ being shared online right now for free. Maintain your discipline by adjusting your exercise routine to the new reality. This is a key component to having a healthy immune system.
- Minimize Social Media- This is a trap in two ways- First, it is the great “time sucker”. You decide to check out your feed for a couple minutes and then 2 hours later you find yourself scrolling through one mindless Tik Tok after another. Second, the amount of negativity on social media has always been a problem but now it is at an all-time high. Remember the old commercial where they showed an egg being fried and said it was your brain on crack. Social media is the new crack for you brain. In the words of Lawrence Taylor- Stay away from crack!
- Keep dedicated “Spaces” – If you are working at home then separate your workspace from your bed, or couch, or kitchen table as best as you can. Keep the TV out of the bedroom and only use the bed for sleep… (or other things 😉), but not watching TV! Studies have shown people are more likely to get sick after being exposed to a virus if they have not gotten enough sleep or good quality sleep so make that a priority too.
- Plan each day- When you take the time to plan your day and schedule things out you will find way more time than just diving headfirst. Plan for the things mentioned above like routines, exercise, work, even watching Netflix™, just plan to only watch one episode of Tiger King, and not the whole series. As a bonus, plan to NOT touch your phone for at least the 1-2 Hrs. of the day #liberating. This will have a significant impact on Tips #1-5.
- Make smart food choices- The old saying of “you are what you eat” is most important when your body needs to fight off an infection. If you are currently living on pizza and curbside fast food, then your body is ripe for catching the latest virus du jour #covid19. These foods put your body in an inflammatory state which is very unhealthy. Instead eat foods that naturally boost your immune system and help fight inflammation. Foods such as fresh fruits and vegetables, almonds, sunflower seeds and turmeric are all high in vitamins A, C, D, E and zinc which will help fight infections. While you are at it, decrease your alcohol intake. Consuming alcohol also decreases our body’s immune response. It is best to avoid it or at least minimize it for now.
- Read- People are always saying, “I don’t have time to read” and “I wish I could read more”. Well guess what, now you have that time. Whether it be self-help, business, auto-biographies, or fiction, all books will expand your knowledge. Reading both allows you an escape from the current situation while enriching your life. Books on all the topics that interest you are just a click and Prime delivery away.
- Start a project or learn a new skill- You know there is something that you have always wanted to begin but just never got around to it. Now is the time to make it a reality. Plant the garden, Learn a new language, teach your kids how to do something special- whatever it is you will be better for it. To be most successful don’t try to do it all at once. Make a new routine and add it to your daily schedule. By doing a little at a time it will be more attainable.
- Give- The old adage “Tis better to give, than to receive” was never more important than right now. Many people are struggling. They’re worrying about everything from where and how they will get food to not being able to have answers to their frightened children. Find ways to help others. Trust me, you have the time which is one of the biggest things you can give right now. Call someone who is all alone and needs some human interaction. Give comfort to someone who is scared or pick up some groceries for your senior neighbor who’s afraid to leave the house. Any and all of these things will be very welcome. They are also very needed and worth it.
- Be Grateful- All of us have a lot to be grateful for. Many of us never take the time to realize it, which is sad, frankly. When you practice gratitude you automatically shift your brain to a more positive state. Take 5-10 minutes a minimum of twice per day to practice gratitude for everything in your life. You will get bonus points if you make it part of #2 above. prayer/meditation This practice alone will have a huge impact on your experience.
Just remember that this time will only be one filled with OPPORTUNITY if you make it happen. Don’t wait! The time is now to put all these things into action. Play like a champion with a winning hand. Together we can make ourselves and the world better. Just remember, to do so will take a lot more action than just washing your hands!
Please leave a comment or pic below.
We’d love to hear or see what new opportunities you are seeking during COVID-19.